I am a mental health student nurse • I am on placement in an inpatient mental he
I am a mental health student nurse
• I am on placement in an inpatient mental health ward
• Area of reflection – Prioritisation
• Use Gibbs Model of reflection
*** What you need to do:
➢ You will need to demonstrate that you are able to link theory ( evidence in
the literature) to practice whilst you are engaging with people in
➢ You will need to write a reflection using a reflective model of your
choice about how you used your communication skills when caring for a
patient in distress on your placement. – Use gibbs model of reflction
• Your critical reflection needs to be AGAINST 1 OF THE NMC AREAS OF
PROFESSIONAL PRACTICE as identified in the Code (2018) drawing on your
placement reflective log and experiences:
_1. __PRIORITISE PEOPLE___
_4.__PROMOTE PROFESSIONALISM AND TRUST___
As an example if you were to choose PRIORITISE PEOPLE because you had
worked with a patient who felt he/she was not being listened to or had been
distressed because he/she was sectioned under the mental health act and did
not understand why this had happened despite receiving all the relevant
supportive literature. Or perhaps, your patient has sensory impairment such
as visual or hearing difficulties or experiences deluded thoughts or
hallucinations which can be distressing.
if you look at the Code of Conduct for Nurses (NMC). you will see that
there are 5 standards under this profesional practice, all of which would
be relevant to reflect on in the above situations for your patient.
START BY PROVIDING A BRIEF INTRODUCTION
• State which reflective model you are using and why you chose that one.
• Briefly introduce your patient ensuring you use psydonysms to protect
confidentiality at all times.
• Identify which one of the 4 professional practice standards you have chosen
to use to suppport you in your reflective writing. (prioritisation)
Ensure you include reflections on communication (this will be about your
therapeutic relationship with the patients – using verbal non verbal
different models of communication considering sensory deprivation ect ( all
covered in module lectures) what did you do how did it make you feel? what
could you do differently?)
• Using your reflective model begin to write your reflection.
• Use the literature from the Tallis reading list and other relevant
reputable sources ( avoid online sources such as the mayo clinic) try to
use National department of helth (DOH) and local NHS (your organisation) policies etc.
I hope this helps you to start planning for this assignment.
Some questions to ask yourself
Please give two ca
• is this an acute problem or a chronic problem? (acute problems usually take precedence over chronic ones)
• What can I fix the most quickly? (If you have a choice between two interventions and they can both equally benefit the patient, do the fastest/easiest one first)
• What could happen to the patient if I fail to act on this right now? (think about the patient’s safety and any life threatening situations!)
• What can I delegate in order to maximize results? (use your resources!)
• What can I delay safely so that I can get something more important done now? (sometimes you have to delay routine things when the unexpected comes up)
• What can I do as the nurse and what do I need to get an order for? (do what you can to help the patient while waiting for those MD orders to come through)
• Which treatment, diagnostic, assessment will make the most impact for the patient’s condition and should take priority? (nurses coordinate the patient’s care, so even though the doc has ordered multiple therapies/treatments/meds…it’s often up to you to manage how and when all this gets done.)
Hopefully these tips can help you with prioritization and time management…or maybe you’ve got a great tip of your own to share. Let us know in the comments below!